Sunday, September 28, 2014

MEET THE AUTHOR: DJ MANLY

We've featured AJ Llewellyn on the blog before. You, however, are new to the
blog! So first I have to ask, how did you and AJ come to the decision to
write together?



It was a long time ago. A.J. published a book in the publishing house. where I was. I had written once with a few people. It was a disaster. I told myself I’d never do it again. But on a whim, I asked A.J. to write a book with me. It was an idea I had about two writers who meet on line. I asked and A.J. said yes. Black Point was born.

Who came up with the idea for the Laid series, and who handles which part?
Laid is A.J.s baby. She asked me to write Laid 4 and I was hesitant. It’s tough to write a character that is not your creation. I had to study the guy and get his voice right. I choice Jack and it went really well. So Jack is now my baby.

Would you say you are a planner as a writer or that you let the flow guide
you into the plot?
I’m both. I do have an outline in my head but I don’t block the creative flow. If it takes me elsewhere, that’s okay.


Take us back to your first book. What was it and can you tell us what
getting that contract was like for you?

My first book was Eternal Souls. It was male/male erotica and I was writing that when many people thought that e publishing wasn’t real publishing and when many writers wouldn’t touch m/m. When it was accepted, I was really excited. I still love that series.

I wish there was more about you on the internet. What would you like your
readers to know about you?

I guess I’m a bit of mystery. My life is really really busy and I suppose that’s why there isn’t a lot about me. I run a business and sometimes I work 9-9. I don’t work at the office anymore on Fridays so Friday, Saturday and Sunday are my writing days.  One day I will go to a writer’s conference. I would love that but I don’t have the time and they are often in the U. S. I’m in Canada so everything seems far. What should people know about me? Um. I don’t spend a lot of time on line. I don’t have time. I am a person who believes in justice. I am a sociologists by training and a teacher. I speak two languages. I have a couple of university degrees and also a diploma in counselling. I am both left brained and right brained, about equal which I’M told is rare. I own a little house and am waiting for my new kitty, a British short hair. I walk to work. My office is five minutes away. I have two, sometimes three employees. I like to relax, I like to watch movies, and I love to take long walks. I have been with the same life partner for a long time. 


Do you have a favorite fan-meets-DJ moment?
I met a woman in Montreal once who had read my books. It was strange because we were talking about books. She told me her favorite writer was D.J. Manly and I almost fell off my chair. She went on and on about Arsenic and Rio…a book I’d written. I didn’t tell the woman I was D.J. Manly. She never knew. It’s one of my favorite stories.


What's next in store for the Laid series?
We’re doing a Xmas version…about a …naughty Santa. 

Do you have other books coming out at SRP that is all you? Can you tell us
about them?


Not at the moment but I most likely will.


What prompted you to write taboo romance?

I have never viewed it as Taboo… I guess that is the answer. Also, I have never been a fan of male/female romance. Although I like romance. I know some books about two guys falling in love just mimic the male/female traditional dynamic. I don’t like those books either. I like starting at an equal starting place. It’s more interesting to write. Guess you figured I’m a feminist.


Is there a taboo that intrigues you such that you're tempted to write a
story about it but haven't yet?


Not that I can think of.


And just for fun: If you could pick three things that identify/symbolize who
you are as a person, what would they be?


Justice
Generosity
Respect
Those three qualities are very important to me.



DJ, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to chat with us!
You're a great talent and we're so excited to have you here at Stiff Rain
Press.


I’m excited to be here. And thanks so much. D.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from readers. We are proud to present our talented authors and welcome you to Stiff Rain Press!